Titling a Vehicle in the Name of an Entity

What happens when your customer wants to title a newly purchased vehicle in the name of their business? Or, in the name of their non-business organization? The solution is simple: it boils down to which identification will be recorded on all title transfer forms. 

Completing the 130-U

When a vehicle is to be titled in the name of an entity, the buyer may choose what ID information will be included on the 130-U title application form. The buyer may select either their own personal ID information, or they may select the EIN/FEIN of the business. One or the other must be entered on the 130-U.
Dealer Procedure

In order to apply for title in the name of an entity, you will need two items from your customer to meet the ID requirements:
  1. Acceptable Photo ID – this is the personal identification (such as a driver's license; acceptable forms of identification are listed at of the person who is making the purchase on behalf of the entity.
  2. Authorization to Sign – this is an item that ties the person in the photo ID to the entity. This may be:
  • a letter of authorization on official letterhead; or
  • an official business card with the employer and the employee's name. 
If the buyer has chosen to have his or her own personal ID information captured on the 130-U, then no other steps are necessary.
A copy of each of the items above should be retained in the deal jacket.


There have been no comments made on this article. Why not be the first and add your own comment using the form below.

Leave a comment

Commenting is restricted to members only. Please login now to submit a comment.